Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer Wind

Frequently I introduce my own music and poetry in this blog. The poetry of course is amateurish, but genuinely felt and carfully expressed. Music on the other hand is more polished, as music was the focus of my education. In an earlier post, I introduced a set of improvisations for piano entitled 'Fall into Winter.' These brief flashes (I wish I could call them genius, but alas the quality is not even across the board) of inspiration were impromptu musings that were recorded while playing on an electronic keyboard connected to a PC running MIDI recording software. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that during each of these recording sessions, I was intoxicated. I had to work in that confession somewhere, so here it is, although all that is past.

Grass at Ascension Monastery
The work featured in 'Fall,' and in the series I introduce in this post, entitled 'Summer Wind,' must have been conceived at a time when there was relatively less alcohol swishing through my brain than at other times. These are relatively clean and actually have something like form -- mainly ABA, but form nonetheless.

There is something about wind that has always soothed me. Whether a cool breeze evaporating the perspiration from my face, or the magical play of wind in the crowns of trees, especially pines, wind has been a faithful source of inspiration. Listen to these works, and imagine being seated beneath a pine tree on a warm summer day. The wind caresses your face and refreshes you. Further, I hope the journey in harmonic and melodic paths will bring you to a place of peace.

Here is a sample.

No. 38 from 'Summer Wind'

No comments:

Post a Comment