Sunday, July 22, 2012

Koan for a Christian

In my formation as a Christian, there are elements of so-called 'other' world views and religions. I hesitate to use the word 'other,' since it is my personal view that all things either intersect or interconnect at some point. So, I find in Zen Buddhism many useful practices and perspectives, one of which is taking a phrase, usually brief, and letting it speak to me, as I have done with the following verses from the Book of Psalms.

“I will study the way of the blameless: when will it come to me?”

Lately, I’ve thought about the topic of ‘unlearning’, or perhaps ‘unknowing’. Christians who practice their faith receive the mind of Christ, and grow to unlearn things such as prejudices, resentments, fear, and craving after base things.

“I shall go about in my heart's innocence within my house. I shall not set before my eyes any base thing.” (Psalm 101: 2-3a, The Book of Psalms, translated by Robert Alter)

As I meditate, there is a path that leads to decreasing attachment to the base things in our world. I’m careful to point out that what I describe here is not about hating the world or disengaging from it. Distractions, propaganda, self-destructive inner messages (I’m unworthy, useless, unattractive, and so on) are only a few of the “ten thousand things” that Zen master Dogen may have alluded to in his introduction to Zen meditation, where he states:

“諸縁を放捨し、萬事を休息すべし”

“Discard attachment, rest (literally pause and breathe) from the ten-thousand affairs.”
(Shobogenzo, Book 11, Principles of Zazen)

Wooden steps lead to a garden at Loyola-Marymount U.

If you think this is difficult, you are right. I am frustrated when I remember the words of the Zen teacher: “Just do zazen.” “But, Sensei, my life is in a state of chaos, and you just don’t understand.” “Just do zazen.” “Okay.”

Personally, I combine prayer and meditation. Zen neither affirms nor denies the existence of God. When I pray, it is like meditation in some ways, except that there are words, thoughts, and at least the intent to communicate with something or someone who encompasses the universe, and who is all knowing. So in the spirit of Zen and the Christian contemplatives, I pray on my knees and meditate on my behind. Knees and behind, both grounded and balanced in such a way that I may one day “attain the Way,” and “walk with integrity of heart within my house.”

No comments:

Post a Comment