Monday, February 15, 2016

Meditation, Lection Divina, Ecumenism

MEDITATION, LECTIO DIVINA, AND OTHER DISCIPLINES

The world is reluctant to allow us time for quiet thought or meditation. Why?

The rent is due, credit card payment is overdue, I must pick up something from the grocery store or pharmacy. Oh, and I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning -- I almost forgot! As a Christian who also practices Zen meditation, I am able to identify with the struggle of calming the mind, which has been described by one Zen teacher as an "excited monkey!" Surely, most would agree that it is abnormal or unhealthy to be in such a continual state of distraction.

Recently I read a piece in which a modern Zen master emphasizes the necessity of actual physical practice. I'll attempt to summarize his argument and explain why his admonition was so important to me. It is easy for me to idealize the state of being in the present, enlightenment, so to speak. It sounds great. When I drink water, I drink water. When washing the dishes, I'm washing the dishes and nothing more. However, to reach this state, which by the way does not last indefinitely, one must first discipline the body. This is new to me (but shouldn't be!). Sitting correctly, regulating breathing, feeling as comfortable as possible while meditating on a regular basis, the mind will follow by slowing down and reaching its natural state, which is to be aware of the present, and not distracted by a myriad of competing distractions.

At the very least, I would like to be focused when doing tasks that require mental concentration and physical coordination. Driving, bathing, listening to music, reading Scriptures (lectio divina), meditating -- all activities that I would like to enjoy to the fullest. As day by day my life grows nearer to a close, I realize how important it is to taste fully of the gifts discernible by the five senses as well as participate actively in intellectual and artistic life. Who knows if any of this will continue on after death? So, live as if we have only this moment.


ECUMENISM

It is good to be aware of the similarities between my own professed Christian faith and other world views. One must also acknowledge the differences and move on. Move on to what? Well, to understanding and tolerance for a start. And, for those who are spiritually mature, one might consider sharing in the greater community of civilized religious people, yes, even practicing together, as when Buddhists and Christians sit to meditate, or when in the spirit of ecumenism, people of diverse faiths and persuasions cooperate in order to relieve the poor or to improve the living conditions of those who suffer from economic want.

Nota bene -- the phrase "civilized religious people." Here, I do not pass judgement on anyone or any group, except to say that for cooperative effort, it is imperative to have experienced and superior leadership. In-fighting, competition for dominance, and hostility in any form must be rejected, first by influential leaders, who are able to persuade factions to let go of their egoistic agendas, and finally by the entire community, who to the best of their ability vow to see others as fellow citizens in a global sense.

It is trivial to say that it's a small world. However, we are living this reality. And, genuine harmony requires (to take an analogy from a busy subway during peak commuter hours) stepping aside from time to time, and allowing others on to the crowded passenger car. We'll all arrive at our destinations by and by.

No comments:

Post a Comment